August 2014 Traffic and Leads Report
Last month, in my inaugural traffic and leads report, I said that in the coming months I would be working on the following items on my main site, InsuranceBlogbyChris.com.
Here’s what I’m currently working on:
- Make the site responsive – this assignment has been given to my web utility guy. We hope to be done with that by the middle of this month, which will help with conversions of my mobile traffic.
- Release Articles Supporting my Calculator – I haven’t started this one yet.
- Backlinking to my Calculator – While I was busy getting my newly hired backlinker on this job, very little got done here, as he has a power outage and was unable to work for two weeks.
- Remove Old Articles – I still need to work on this.
- Redo Quote Results Page – We’ve been busy at work on this as well, but has not yet been implemented into the site, and imagine it won’t be for a few months.
Visitor Totals for August 2014
August was almost an exact replica of July.
Here’s the google analytics breakdown:
Month-over-Month Changes (July 2014 – August 2014)
- Traffic – 19,453 -> 19,419
- Leads – 979 -> 908
- Pages/Session – 1.74 -> 1.72
- Ave. Session Duration: 1:33 -> 1:32
- Bounce Rate: 75.8% -> 76.0%
As you can see, most of my key metrics were unchanged, but leads were way down, due to a lowered conversion of just 4.6% as compared to 5% last month. This is an important lesson to learn for mid to large sized websites. Even the slightest decline in conversion can have a big impact on leads, and therefore sales. While I’m super happy to be generating over 900 leads in a month again, the downside is we generated 71 fewer leads than the previous month. That could easily have generated another $10,000 in sales.
Stay Tuned for An Interesting Development in September
Since things pretty much stayed equal on the site, I’ll cut this traffic and leads report short this month.
I know next month, I’ll have a lot more interesting things to share, as we received a nice spike in traffic this month.
Next month, I’ll tell you why.
If you have not yet signed up for my newsletter, join below and I’ll notify you when the post goes live!