CASE STUDY: Quick Change Leads to 17x Boost in Conversion!! :)
We’ve been getting 2000+ hits per month to our term vs whole life insurance calculator for a while now.
It’s a nice resource with a lot of great backlinks pointing to it, but most months it converts at less than 1%.
For example in July it got 2513 visits and produced just 16 leads. = 0.64% conversion
The way we previously had it set up, the path for people to get a quote was too hard.
People would need to 1) use this calculator (at the very bottom of the page):
2) scroll to the bottom to see the results
3) and click the “get a term quote” button to get a quote, or click on our Free Quote button in our Nav Bar.
I was stumped on this for a long time.
I didn’t want to make people give me their contact info just to use the calculator, so I was asking for their info on the back end.
The lightbulb moment came for me when I looked up the keywords I was ranking for in ahrefs:
For months I had just assumed people were finding me with longtail searches like “term vs whole life ins calculator” or “calculator that determines if it’s better to buy whole life or buy term and invest the rest”.
As you can see, that’s not the case, though.
Most people are finding me with searches related to whole life insurance, or asking about the “cost of life insurance” and I wasn’t providing them ANYTHING to help them (or capture their info).
Luckily, Ninja Quoter now offers a whole life calculator as one of their widgets.
So it took me all of 30 minutes to:
1) set up a NQ widget for whole life
2) create a couple little images in canva to go above the quoters
3) and send the change request to my developer
And now we’re sticking two quoters in front of their face immediately:
I’ve had this up since Friday, so I haven’t had a ton of traffic yet, but so far the #’s are pretty conclusive that this was a massive win.
In just a few days, 253 visits led to 28 quote requests = 11.07% conversion
(remember I got 16 the whole month of July?)
The crazy thing is the calculators aren’t even displaying properly on the page and it’s still converting that high.
1) Make it SUPER easy for your visitors to get a quote and give you their info on every page – I already knew this but wasn’t practicing it. Take a look at True Blue Life Ins’ No Exam page for another great example. I’ll bet this page is converting at 10%+ easily.
2) You should be tracking your top pages and the keywords that are bringing in the traffic – Again I use ahrefs. It’s $99 per month for the lite version but well worth it. You can copy any URL of a page on your site and drop it into ahrefs, then go to Organic Keywords and see what it’s ranking for. It’s pretty awesome. (Can do it for your competitors too)
3) “Be sure you know the condition of your flocks, give careful attention to your herds” – This is a Bible Proverb (27:23) reminding us to be diligent about assessing and taking care of our assets. In the old times, people owned cattle and other animals, and were reminded to take stock of them often. I wasn’t doing this with a very important asset I had, and squandered hundreds of potential leads over the past several months.